Until the moment you become a parent, you become aware and, after all, you are forced to learn many things that were far from interesting to you before. It`s just the way the things go, one day you`re partying, the next day you`re an expert for diapers. Yes, diapers.
Today we will talk that, which is definitely not so pleasant topic. We will compare cloth diapers with the disposable ones and see which option is better for our babies. And later, we will talk about what`s happening after we change our kid`s diaper. Because we all know there is more work behind all that.
So, let`s see: Why are cloth diapers better than the disposable diapers?
Cloth diapers are that kind of product that has been improving through time. That is why today we have a completely new generation of cloth diapers made of better, healthier fabrics, with super absorbent pads, very simple to put on and take off, and, what is the most important- they are very easy to clean since they are machine washable.
And now let`s see, step by step, why they are better than the disposable ones:
- The price: They are way less expensive than the disposable diapers. Yes, there are water bills and special detergents, but even so- it is still half the cost of disposables.
- They are healthier: It is well known that disposable diapers contain numerous chemicals that can damage your baby`s health. Dioxins, sodium polycrylate, dyes, fragrances, and phthalates are some of the ingredients credible scientific researchers have found in disposable diapers, and these can cause numerous risks of cancer, asthma, hormone disruption, and others. Also, fragrance and dyes are unnecessary in a diaper and many babies can be allergic to them.
- Environmentally friendly: Nationwide, parents in the USA use an estimated 27.4 billion disposable diapers each year. That’s around 3.4 million tons of diapers that end up in landfills each year. The trees are used to make the diapers plus all that water and chemicals returning to the environment as waste. Then the plastic packaging, the transportation – airplanes and trucks carting those diapers around the world – not to mention the energy you use driving to the store and back.
- Better absorbency: Not that the cloth diapers are more comfortable, they are also more absorbent than the disposable ones. With a cloth diaper, you won`t have to change your baby in the middle of the night, and how often do you do that with the disposable diaper? With cloth diapers there are no leakage or rash involved.
- Easy to use: One of the most common misperceptions about cloth diapers is that they are very difficult to use and laborious to maintain. Modern cloth diapers are just as easy to change as a disposable and as easy to maintain as washing a load of laundry.
After all you have read, we are sure you know exactly what to choose. Washing diapers at home adds two to three loads of laundry per week, and you never have to worry about running out of diapers – and running out to the store to restock in the middle of the night. Again, it is important which detergent you will choose. But we want to make your life easier, so we also made a list of the best detergents for cloth diapers.
Charlie Banana knows what is the best for your baby. Their laundry detergent is perfect for babies’ clothes and for anyone with allergies or sensitive skin. It quickly dissolves in cold water, rinses thoroughly, and leaves no residues. Perfume free, Parabens free, Hypo-allergenic & Biodegradable. Recommended for washing your Charlie Banana cloth diapers but also your family’s laundry.
Pros: Lasts longer than the other detergents, it is chemical free, very efficient
Cons: The price, not so pleasant smell
The Grovia Mighty Bubbles Laundry Treatment is perfectly formulated to remove buildup of urine and minerals from your baby`s cloth diapers. It contains no ammonia and no alcohol or ethers. It is very gentle on the baby`s skin since it is phosphate free and pH neutral. This detergent can be used in all kinds of washers, it is completely dissolvent and very efficient.
Pros: Completely removes ammonia buildup, good for hard water, removes fragrances
Cons: The formula is very strong
The Eco Sprout Detergent for cloth diapers is eco-friendly, 100% natural and biodegradable. It is perfect for gentle baby`s skin. It comes in two pleasant fragrances: lavender and chamomile. Lavender gives tranquility and chamomile has a lulling effect to enhance sleep. No more battling with eye-watering ammonia smells, as Eco Sprout dramatically helps neutralize the odor. The scent is for you to enjoy and will freshen your washing machine and make your laundry room smell nice. It works with all water types and is perfect for both HE and conventional machines. It is designed to safely wash out of your diapers or clothing and leave nothing behind but a clean fresh scent.
Pros: Great smell, easily removes stains, good for hard water
Cons: The clothes receives strange scent after washing, very hard to measure
Rockin’ Green Laundry Detergent is an eco-friendly way to get your cloth diapers clean, but also, it can wash your whole family’s clothes. It is very efficient on dirt and stains and yet, it contains no enzymes, phosphates, optical brighteners, SLS or parabens. All the ingredients are biodegradable and the scent is very gentle for the skin since they use only natural essential oils. Rocking` Green Laundry Detergent for cloth diapers smells fresh and keeps the bacteria away.
Pros: Very efficient in soft water, removes even the hardest stains, smells nice, gentle on the baby`s skin, preserves color
Cons: The price is not so affordable, doesn`t work well on regular clothes, not so efficient in hard water
After all this, we can agree that cloth diapers are better for your baby, for your wallet and for the environment. Regarding the detergents, we gave you some options: now your job is to see what will be the best choice for your baby, your machine and your budget.