This post was originally posted on our blog SugarLoco, but we thought it was sooo good, we wanted to share it here as well. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Sometimes you just want a comforting piece of cake in the morning, and coffee cake is always a favorite that fits the bill. This recipe, provided by Kelly of The Nourishing Home, hails from her cookbook Everyday Grain-Free Baking, which shares with you many tasty treats that maintain a healthy edge!
Here’s a quick overview of what you’ll find in Everyday Grain-Free Baking:
- More than 100 delicious, easy-to-make recipes that are gluten-free, grain-free starch-free, refined-sugar-free and dairy-free, or contain dairy-free options.
- My Journey to Healing is Kelly’s personal story shared to inspire those suffering from chronic illnesses that there is hope!
- Why Bake Grain-Free? outlines the many benefits of grain-free baking.
- Strategies for Maximizing Success features Kelly’s personal tips for ensuring that all of your grain-free baking adventures receive rave reviews!
- My Grain-Free Kitchen includes an overview of the key ingredients that make grain-free baking a success, as well as recommendations for helpful baking essentials.
- Tips & Tidbits and Recipe Variations are included throughout the book to make each recipe a snap – and provide you with even more options for making amazing grain-free baked goods that taste just like traditional favorites!
From breads, biscuits and muffins to savory snacks and decadent treats, you’ll find step-by-step instructions, beautiful color photographs and helpful tips & tidbits to make all of your GF baking adventures a delicious success!
Kelly’s mission in creating Everyday Grain-Free Baking is to transform the everyday comfort foods we each hold dear into delightfully flavorful and satisfying grain-free versions that are so remarkably similar to traditional gluten-based foods that everyone will enjoy these recipes, whether or not they’re living a GF lifestyle.
In fact, Kelly’s recipes really do taste like the real deal, because she knows so many of us struggle with the same challenge – trying to make tasty healthy foods that the whole family can enjoy without having to become a short-order cook!
As we all know, this can be especially challenging when some members of your family are living grain-free, while other members of your family are not. Finding recipes that will work for everyone that actually taste AMAZING is what Everyday Grain-Free Baking is all about!
So grab your copy today and rediscover the joy of baking everyday favorites your whole family will love!
Grain-Free, Dairy-Free Option!
Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake
Reprinted with permission from Everyday Grain-Free Baking
Yield: 9 servings
1 tablespoon butter (or coconut oil)
1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon honey
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup walnut pieces, finely chopped
1 tablespoon unsalted butter (or coconut oil)
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3½ cups blanched almond flour
¼ cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup honey
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted (or palm shortening)
½ cup pure coconut milk
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
4 large eggs, plus 2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 315°F. Lightly oil a 9×9-inch baking dish; set aside.
- For the Topping: In a small bowl, whisk together the butter (or coconut oil), honey, and cinnamon until well blended. Add the finely chopped walnuts and toss well to combine. Set aside.
- For the Cinnamon Swirl: In a small bowl, whisk together the butter (or coconut oil), honey, and cinnamon until well blended. Set aside.
- For the Cake: In a food processor, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Add all of the remaining ingredients except the eggs and egg whites to the top of the dry ingredients in the order given. Cover and pulse a few times to combine. Then process until the batter is smooth and creamy (about 20–25 seconds).
- Add the eggs and egg whites. Cover and pulse a few times to combine. Then process just enough to blend the eggs into the batter (about 10–15 seconds). Use a thin spatula as needed to scrape down the sides.
- Carefully spoon half of the batter into the prepared baking dish. Use an offset spatula to smooth out the top.
- Drizzle with the cinnamon swirl across the top of the batter. Then carefully spoon the remaining cake batter on top. Use an offset spatula to smooth the top of the batter. Next, starting at the edges of the cake, crumble the topping evenly across the cake. Use your fingers to gently press the topping into the batter a bit.
- Bake the cake for 45–55 minutes until light golden brown along edges and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool about 5-10 minutes. Then serve warm with your favorite coffee or tea.
Hope you all enjoy and let us know what you think!