Do You Take a Fiber Supplement?
We often hear how fiber is good for us. How we should be adding more fiber to our diet and daily lifestyle. We see the numerous commercials promoting many different kinds of fiber. We know that there are certain foods rich in it and that it helps with our health and weight loss. But do we really know what are the key elements of taking and adding more fiber to our diets?
- Fiber slows the rate that sugar is absorbed into the bloodstream. When you eat foods high in fiber, such as beans and whole grains, the sugar in those foods is absorbed slower, which keeps your blood glucose levels from rising too fast. This is good for you because spikes in glucose fall rapidly, which can make you feel hungry soon after eating and lead to overeating.
- Fiber makes your intestines move faster. When you eat whole grains rich in insoluble fiber, it moves faster through your intestines, which can help signal that you are full.
- Fiber cleans your colon, acting like a scrub brush. The scrub-brush effect of fiber helps clean out bacteria and other buildup in your intestines, and reduces your risk for colon cancer.
- Fiber helps keep you regular. A high-fiber diet helps you have soft, regular bowel movements, reducing constipation.
- It is very important to add fiber rich foods to your diet, not only for you, but your children too!
- Whole grain breads with at least 3 grams of fiber per serving. Choosing whole wheat bread is not enough, as many varieties of whole wheat bread have very little fiber. Make sure to check the fiber content by reading the nutrition label.
- Cereals with at least 5 grams of fiber per serving. To find high-fiber cereals look for those made from whole grains, bran and rolled oats. Check the nutrition label to make sure it has enough fiber.
- Brown rice is brown because it still has the husk, which is the fiber. White rice does not have any fiber because the husks have been removed.
- Beans and legumes are great sources of both fiber and protein.
- Fruits and vegetables also contain fiber. This is one reason that eating fruit is much healthier than drinking juice, which does not contain fiber.
Share with us How do you include more fiber in your diet?