We All Could Use More Chocolate
One study found that when 44,489 people ate one serving of chocolate per week they were 22% less likely to have a stroke than people who didn’t indulge.
Chocolate contains more than 300 chemicals and has been subjected to studies by many. Some effects of chocolate are good, some not so much, but we all have to admit that it tastes wonderful.
- Cacao, the source of chocolate, contains antibacterial agents that fight tooth decay. Of course, this is counteracted by the high sugar content of milk chocolate.
- The smell of chocolate may increase theta brain waves, resulting in relaxation.
- Chocolate contains phenyl ethylamine, a mild mood elevator.
- The cocoa butter in chocolate contains oleic acid, a mono-unsaturated fat which may raise good cholesterol.
- Drinking a cup of hot chocolate before meals may actually diminish appetite.
- Men who eat chocolate live a year longer than those who don’t.
- The flavanoids in chocolate may help keep blood vessels elastic.
- Chocolate increases antioxidant levels in the blood.
- Mexican healers use chocolate to treat bronchitis and insect bites.
- The carbohydrates in chocolate raise serotonin levels in the brain, resulting in a sense of well-being.
Sometimes we believe that chocolate can cause certain things in human body. But most of those have been proven to be myths.
- Studies show that chocolate is not a causative factor in acne.
- Cacao contains the stimulants caffeine and bromine, but in such small quantities that they don’t cause nervous excitability.
- Chocolate is not addictive.
- Chocolate contains stearic acid, a neutral fat which doesn’t raise bad cholesterol.
- Chocolate doesn’t make you “high”. You’d need to eat a huge quantity (about 25 pounds at one sitting) to feel any noticeable effect.
But there are some negatives like:
- Chocolate may trigger headaches in migraine sufferers.
- Milk chocolate is high in calories, saturated fat and sugar.
Chocolate is also not good for your pets. So make sure you don’t give them any, especially dark or baking chocolate because they contain higher concentrations of the substance, stimulant called theobromine, which pets can’t digest.