Tips on How to Clean Squid
Why pay more for cleaned squid in the market when you can save and do it yourself?! With these easy steps you will feel like a pro the next time you are preparing it!
- Use either fresh or frozen whole squid. If you are using the frozen kind thaw first following the instructions on the package.
- Grasp the squid tail in one hand and the head in the other. Pull the two apart. The head and innards should easily slip out of the body.
- The tentacles and body tube are both edible. Discard of the head and insides.
- To remove the tentacles from the head, place your knife just behind the eyes of the squid and cut straight down.
- Remove the small part, beak from the middle of the tentacles.
- The tail tube portion contains a thin, clear sliver of cartilage. This must be removed from the squid tail.
- Remove the skin (dark, spotty part) from the squid. This should leave you with a white squid tail.
- Once you have the skin removed, thoroughly wash the inside of the squid body tube, using your finger to pull out any residual innards. Pat dry before proceeding with your recipe.
- You can either use the squid tails whole, or cut them in the rings for calamari.
- To cut the rings, place squid tail on the cutting board and cut with a knife.
Pictures in this post are by About.com for more info on How to Clean Squid and Step by Step Pictures visit About. com website.