Choose the right foods and portion sizes before your workout!
Before your morning exercise it is very important to fuel your body properly, because your body has used up most of its carbohydrate or energy stores at night while you were sleeping!
- One of the best ways to feel well enough for your early workouts (or any for that matter) is to have a good 200 to 300 calorie meal about two to three hours before your workout.
- A proper morning meal will help you avoid feeling groggy or lightheaded during a workout.
- Choose the right foods and portion sizes to keep you feeling strong until the end of your workout.
- If you don’t have time to wait two to three hours before your workout, than opt for a large snack before bed the night before. Then grab an energy drink or small snack, like a piece of fruit before exercising which will get you trough your morning without.
- Slow-burning complex carbohydrates are a smart choice before exercise. Carbs are digested slowly, they will provide a steady stream of energy and will help you remain full during your workout.
- Your breakfast should be a small bowl of low or no-sugar cereal, a piece of fruit (banana or apple would be the best), fruit juice that is 100% fruit. Or you can have half the cup of trail mix with low or non-fat yogurt or half the cup of milk in place of the cereal.
- Protein is an important addition to your pre-workout meal because it will help you feel full, provide energy, and help repair and build muscles.
- A slice of whole wheat bread with peanut butter or an apple with nut butter are excellent pairings of carbs and protein.
- Stay away from fatty foods before your workouts, because fat takes more energy to digest and digests slowly.
- Avoid eating too much before a workout, as this can increase the likelihood of stomach cramps, nausea and diarrhea.
Share with us Your Pre-Workout Food Ideas!