Reduce your household budget by living thrifty!
It’s not easy living in a time of economic downturn. Doing the hard times many people start looking for ways to reduce their household budget and to start living more thrifty. Living thrifty doesn’t mean giving up on things and living without, but making small changes will allow you to save money and still enjoy your favorite treats and activities.
- First step is to monitor your spending for at least 2 weeks and up to a month. You can’t make thrifty changes if you don’t know where your money is going and what you are spending it on.
- Research before making a purchase. Internet is a great place for this. Compare prices, see who will give you the best deal.
- Turn off the lights and other electronics in your home when you are not using them.
- Open a window and let in the natural light. Make a breeze so that you don’t need to turn on your air conditioning so often.
- Reduce your cable package or eliminate it altogether and save a large sum of money every year. If you decide you really can’t live without it, call your cable company and see if there are any promotions or discounts available to you. Or cut back, don’t pay for the channels you never watch.
- Use coupons when you do your grocery shopping. Many websites offer free printable coupons you can take with you to the grocery store. And many stores take multiple coupons. Don’t forget to check store promotions and sales as well. Sign up for newsletters from companies whose products you buy regularly and see if they email or send coupons to customers.
- Eat at home most nights of the week, it will save you money and give you quality time with your family. When you do go out, look for available deals and discounts.
- Make sure your house is well isolated which will save you money on heating and air conditioning throughout the year.
- Don’t just throw away things you no longer need, trade with family and friends.
- Cut back on spending money for gas by carpooling whenever possible.
More from SCM Blog:
Latest posts by Suzana Uzelac (see all)
- A Back to School Checklist - July 23, 2014
- Book of the Month: The Selection & The Elite & The One - July 3, 2014
- Around the Web: 4th of July Recipes - July 1, 2014
- It’s NOT Just A Dog! Book Review & Giveaway - June 19, 2014