Simple Yet Effective Weight Loss Tips!
You’ve made the decision to lose weight and now it’s time to follow through on your goal.
When it comes to weight loss there is no magic button that can turn you into perfect shape overnight. To achieve your goals you will have to work for it. These 10 simple weight loss tips are here to help you along this very important journey in life. Journey to a healthier you!
- Make a Plan and Follow it – Visualize yourself at your goal weight. Set some small, reachable goals like “losing 2 pounds a week” rather than big ones that will make you feel overwhelmed. Record weekly your weight and measurements so you can see your progress. Write down your daily calorie intake, water consumption and exercise, that way you will know what works for you and what doesn’t.
- Take Pictures – Before and after pictures make a great motivational tool and by retaking them monthly you will see the changes before your eyes.
- Always Eat Breakfast – You may believe you can shed weight by passing on breakfast, but actually, the opposite is true. Eating a good breakfast like a cup of oatmeal in the morning will prevent you from overeating later in the day.
- Drink Water – This may seem obvious, but many people mistake the feeling of thirst for hunger. You don’t need to overdo it. Opt for water instead of soda and other calorie and sugar loaded drinks.
- Have a Healthy Diet – Don’t skip meals. Skipping meals can cause your body to go into a fat-storing starvation mode, making it harder to burn calories. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and veggies. Stick to lean meats and fish. Eating a handful of nuts will help you stay full. Eat several small, but well-balanced meals and snacks a day rather than three big ones where you will be more likely to overeat and snack on unhealthy foods later on. Eat slowly and chew your food well before swallowing which prevents unnecessary air from entering your body with your food that can leave you bloated. Beware of “fat-free” or “zero trans fats” foods as you could be trading fats for huge amounts of sugar or sodium.
- Get at Least 8 Hours of Sleep - Evidence has shown that sleep plays a major role in body composition and studies suggest that chronic partial sleep may increase the risk of obesity and weight gain. When you lack sleep your body releases the stress hormone which tells your body to store fat. Also, when you’re well-rested, you’re less prone to snacking out of fatigue or stress.
- Exercise at Least 5 Days a Week – You need to find the time if you want to reach your goals. Aim for both cardio and weight training because both are very beneficial to your ultimate goal. The number-one training stimulus when seeking body-fat loss is weight lifting. Training with weights elevates your RMR (resting metabolic rate). For every pound of lean muscle “tone” you develop, your body expends an extra 50 calories. And don’t forget the cardio, you need to move and be active to lose weight and be healthy. Interval training not only burns calories during the session, the real magic is that they also significantly elevate EPOC (exercise post oxygen consumption).
- Limit Stress in Your Life – Stress can cause weight gain and make all your hard work worthless. Limit stress, take walks, listen to soothing music, do something that will make you relax and eliminate stress.
- Join a Community – Being a part of a community of people with same or similar goals will keep you motivated to stick to it and do more. One of the communities we always recommend is SparkPeople.
- Remember Why You are Doing This – Remind yourself often why you are doing this! Your journey shouldn’t be a punishment, but a reward. Remember why you started and push yourself to your goal with a smile and an amazing new attitude towards weight loss and exercise!
Take Control of Your Life!